Comment on page
How do I set up email subscription notifications? (Customer Notifications)
Keep your customers in the know about their upcoming subscription orders with customizable email notifications.
You are able to send email notifications through Smartrr based on specific billing events. The available email notifications are:
- New subscription
- Subscription created – Existing customer: Sent when a new subscription order is created for a customer who already has a customer account.
- Subscription created – New customer: Sent when a new subscription order is created for a customer who does not have a customer account.
- Subscription management
- Upcoming subscription: Email sent in advance of a recurring subscription order being placed.
- Payment expiration notice: This is a CONDITIONAL email because it will only send in place of the "Upcoming subscription" email is the credit card used for an upcoming subscription is set to expire.
- Item out of stock: Sent when a customer’s subscription has an item has gone out of stock.
- Subscription canceled: Sent when a subscription order has been canceled.
- Subscription paused: Sent when a subscription order has been paused.
- Subscription reactivated: Sent when a subscription order has been reactivated.
- Gifted subscriptions
- Gifted subscription: Sent to gifter as confirmation that a subscription gift has been scheduled.
- Gifter subscription shipped: Sent to gifter when a gifted subscription order has been shipped.
- Giftee subscription shipped: Sent to the giftee when a gifted subscription order has been shipped along with gift message.
📧 Tip: For Upcoming Subscription emails, you are able to designate "Email send time" by the number of days before a subscription order is placed.
Note: If you've enabled Smartrr's default templates, you won't be able to edit the content of individual emails. To edit the individual emails with HTML instead of with Smartrr's custom default templates, toggle Enable default templates to OFF.
Navigate to Customer Notifications under CONFIGURATION in the left-hand menu.
Click on Customize defaults to globally add a logo and change color schemes for default email templates.
- Enable email header / footer: Injects a standard header and footer across all emailsReset default styles. Enable to add a JPEG or PNG logo across all emails. Footer information is pulled directly from your store's Shopify contact information.
- Reset default styles: When pressed, resets all header / footer, and color settings for all default email templates.
- Colors: Changes background colors, primary text color, button color, and button text color for all email templates. Note: Secondary text color will only be visible in the footer when "Enable email header / footer" is toggled ON.
Want to code your own email templates? Disable the toggle next to each email. To edit the template, click the hyperlink.
Settings applied in Customize defaults will NOT appear if you are using custom-coded HTML.
Within the content of these emails, we provide a variety of event variables that can be used across all email templates in the Email Triggers tab. The syntax is available at the bottom of each page. You can click to copy the syntax and apply it to your emails.
<%- subscription.VARIABLE %>
<%- subscription.lines.VARIABLE %>
<%- customer.VARIABLE %>
<%- note %>
<%- to.VARIABLE %>
<%- from.VARIABLE %>
The ‘Gift Created Email’ template also has access to a
<%- outOfStockItem.VARIABLE %>